Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Life's Journey: College Days

This morning as I was driving to work, I heard "Rock Lobster" by the B52s. And boy did it ever take me back to my days at Mary Washington! Such great memories,such great friends and let's not forget The BeeHive!!. I don't think a day goes by that I don't think about my college days! Oh to be able to go back for just a day....
I remember that  August day in 1980 (ok so I am old...LOL) when my Mom, Dad and my little brother Kevin packed me up and moved me to Mary Washington College which would be my home for the next 4 years. I was scared to death. A strange place, new people and I would have to live with someone I had never met. Not to mention my classes or the fact that I would have to study!
My roommate Carole was from New Jersey and we had talked over the summer so we weren't complete strangers. I remember all those trips back and forth to the car to get all my stuff. We unpacked and set up our room (which was way cool). Our 2 families went out to lunch together and I will always remember Carole's boyfriend (now her hubby) Eric teaching my little brother how to unscrew the salt shaker top just enough so that the next person to use it would have a plate full of salt!! We came back to Mason Dorm, room 206, hugged our parents, brother and boyfriend and then they left. It was a bittersweet good-bye (oh to have freedom to make our own choices but still needing our parents).... I was only an hour from home but as I watched my family leave, I did shed a few tears!! Then it was off to the  freshman mixer ..... that was the day Carole and I met Paul & Pete, our very first college friends.
Over the next 4 years, the move to and from college became easier. We met some very special people who would forever be our dear friends! There was boyfriend drama, suite mate disagreements and some not-so-good grades.  Of course there was sadness too ... in January of 1983, Carole's mom passed away. Mrs. Comely had become a big part of my life as I had spent 2 weeks with their family every summer since Carole and I  had become rommmates. Carole would go home alot that semester and in May, decided she would not return for her senior year. I was devastated as she and I had been together for 3 years. Teresa was my roomie my senior year and although it was a hard transistion, she is still one of my dearest friends! I did meet Marye who lived right across the hall. She and her roomie Cindy were seniors also so we had alot in common. I would later be Marye's maid of honor and she mine. In May 1984,I received my BS in biology! Carole was right there to watch me receive my diploma as was Trish!!  After graduation, the move back home was the hard one!! I had learned so much over those 4 years and now I was supposed to go conquer the world.
Over the next few years, Carole married as did many other of my friends. And so did I. Marriage, jobs, homes, kids and distance would make it difficult to keep in touch as much as we had planned. But somehow we managed. Facebook has brought many of us back together  and it's funny how even though years have passed, it's still like we are all those same college friends from 27 years ago!
Did I conquer the world? No but what I learned in college will always be a part of my life. I met wonderful friends, had great professors and learned so much. It was a time in my life that I absolutely loved!! Even through the good times, sad times and difficult classes, Mary Wash is a journey I will always remember!!
I have since taken 2 of my own children to college. I hope that they both learn and grow as I did. And I hope one day when they write their own blogs, they will reflect on their college experience as well.
I visit the campus often and have attended several reunions and even though changes have occured (including the name .... it's now the University of Mary Washington) it will always be a place I call home.
So here's to Carole, Marye, Trish, Lorraine, Cheryl, Beth, Cindy and Teresa....thanks for the memories.
Denise and Joanne....it's been great re-connecting and remembering good times at MWC!!
And remember, as you go on your own life's journey, turn on the radio....you will be surprised at what a song can do :)

1 comment:

  1. love it! Really nice to reminisce...miss you!

    ReplyDelete